Friday, January 30, 2009

Part Three: Berlin, Update Three!

Hello all. I write you now from Paris, but first I must wrap up my coverage of my time in Berlin. For some reason, I feel the need to keep this blog very organized so I do not want to mix Paris in with Berlin too much. Don't ask me why. Anyway, the last few days in Berlin were great. I did a whole bunch of things and I must say that Berlin was a fantastic place to sort of get my footing on traveling alone and build my confidence a little more.

I guess I'll start with a funny anecdote that picks up from where my last blog entry left off. Last Monday was Australia day, a phenomenon that I was unaware of until, strangely enough, visiting Berlin. I don't know much about the day, save for what I learned in the hostel that night. From that I can deduce that it consists of: 1. Wearing clothes that do not fit the weather. It was probably in the 20s or low 30s that night in Berlin but many people were in bathing suits or shorts. I guess it reminded them of the weather in Australia or something. 2. Wearing the flag. Many people draped themselves in the Australian flag. Cowboy straw hat sort of things were also big. Preferably with the Fosters brand name on them (which, the people I met, assure me no one drinks in Australia). 3. Excessive, excessive drinking. That one doesn't need too much explanation. 4. Not being Australian. I think I may have met about one or two people that night who were Australian. One of whom said she never celebrates it when she is at home. But that didn't stop people from chanting, "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!" to which the crowd responded, "Oi, Oi, Oi!" So that was my little lesson in Australia day. I think I will start celebrating it every year. January 26th. Mark your calendars.

So, now, on to the last two days in Berlin. Lets see. On Monday, I met up with Heddy again (see previous post for an explanation of who she is) and we went to the German History Museum. To our great surprise admission was free that day! We spent a few minutes in the lobby area because Heddy had been talking up this map they have there. I am not certain now whether it was the map itself or just the mesmorizing effect it had on her. But it was pretty cool. It was a big map of Europe and showed the changing sizes of empires starting really early on up until the present.

Then we went to my favorite part of the museum. They had this exhibit on the German language that I thought was super cool. It traced the language from its beginnings, but the more interesting part was the way in which it has changed in more modern times due to increased slang, electronic communication, all that stuff. I must say, this exhibit would not have been as good without Heddy, who was able to translate everything for me and add in her own little antropoligical analyses. One of my favorite parts was a map (that is a theme here, huh?) that showed different German words that had been taken up in other languages based on the region. Doppleganger, Burger, Kindergarden give some good examples of one that have taken hold in America.

We then set out to find a cafe. Heddy took me to this little place that was very relaxed and cool and apparently went by a name that, when translated literally, meant, "the cute little liquor collective." While I didn't share in the liqour, it sure was cute. A quick bit to eat at a local burger place (the Kruezburger, a not so clever pun on Kruezberg, the area we were in) and we said goodbye, goodluck, and went out separate ways. It was really fun to see her, though who knows when it will happen again.

That night, I went out for a bit with this guy Neco. He is a musician from Argentina who I met at the hostel. He was super nice and extroverted and promises that he will "make me an asada (barbecue)" when I arrive in Argentina in March. If that promise is anything like the one he made the night we went out, it may take a little while and a bit of confusion. You see, he had promised that he would take me to a jazz club he heard about. He also promised that he knew where it was. Turns out he wasn't quite sure. But that would not keep the fearless composer from hearing music. He had a funny way of trying to get directions. He would pick a restaurant, preferably a spanish restaurant but Italian was o.k. too. He figured since they were that type of cuisine there must be someone there who he could speak spanish or his broken Italian to. A few failed attempts and he found a Spanish guy. But he sent us in absolutely the wrong direction. Finally, he asked some girls on the street who told us the correct location. The music at the club turned out to be fantastic. It was just a guy on the little Kenny G saxophone, (forgive me for not knowing the correct name) who was way better than Kenny G, and a pianist. They played some of the quickest music I've ever heard but they were both super talented.

Tuesday, I decided to take a train out to Sachsenhausen, a former concentration camp turn Soviet prisoner of war camp for five years after the war . It was a very intense and terrifying experience. I'm not sure what else to say about it. I don't think I will say much.

So now I am in Paris! Woo! Looking back on it, Berlin was really great. While I arrived a little intimidated and overhwelmed, I managed to get comfortable, meet some super cool people, and see some really awesome things. I have much to say about Paris and I really look forward to exploring the city. I also have to say that this is the first place I am really excited for in terms of food. So, all that and more in my next post which should happen fairly soon.

Best wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment